THE DOIG FAMILY SOCIETY
COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

MINUTES OF THE DOIG FAMILY SOCIETY COMMITTEE MEETING HELD Thursday 5th July 2012
At Sunnyside House, 100 Main Street, East Kilbride

doig arms

Those Present:-

Chairman - Chairman -Kerr Doig, Secretary- John Doig, Treasurer- Ian Doig, Members;  Henry and Mary Doig, Wendy Doig,  James and Ann Gibb Doig and Ken Doig (California)  via a Skype link.

Apologies:-  received from Maureen Doig.


    Kerr Doig welcomed those present and made a special welcome to Ken in California. He thanked Mary and Henry for their hospitality.

    Minutes of the June 2011 meeting:- were agreed as a true record.

    FINANCE

    The treasurer presented statement of account   (below).

    Ian reported that income was good but that it was proving difficult to know who some of the Standing Orders received came from as they only showed a Bank number on statements.  A system of reminder to all those owing annual subscriptions should be devised. 

    The accounts for 2011 along with relevant paperwork had been given to Jon Doig for Audit but these had not as yet been returned and Ian had not had reply back as to when this may be.  Mary Doig offered to carry out Audit until a replacement for Jon could be found.

    These accounts were accepted and agreed, subject to Audit.

    Thanks were expressed to Ian for his work.

    DOIG FAMILY SOCIETY - Accounts For Year Ended 31st Dec 2011
    1. INCOME and EXPENDITURE ACCOUNT - For Year Ended 31st Dec 2011
    2011 2010
    Income  £.p   £.p 
    Life Memberships (3) 187.68 244.89
    Annual Subscriptions (6) 60.00 79.42
    2010 Canada Gathering - Net Income - 102.88
    DVDs & Books Sold 2010 - 10.00
    Bank Interest Received 1.42 1.48
    Total Income For Year  £249.10  £438.67
    Expenditure
    Testaments purchased from Rosemary Bigwood 140.00 -
    Secretary's Expenses Reimbursed (Access Software) 45.00 -
    Total Expenditure for Year  £185.00  £-  
    Surplus For Year (Income Less Expenditure)  £64.10  £438.67
    2. BALANCE SHEET - As At 31st December 2011
    Assets  £.p   £.p 
    Bank Account - Balance at End of Year  £3,610.10 3,546.00
    Liabilities
    Doig Society Fund: Bals. B/Fd at Beginning of Year 3,466.00 3,027.33
    Add: Surplus for Year, from Inc and Exp Account above 64.10 438.67
    Doig Society Fund:  Balance C/Fd at End of Year 3,530.10 3,466.00
    Armigers Funds - Deposits by Members 80.00 80.00
    Total Liabilities  £3,610.10  £3,546.00
    3. FUNDS STATEMENT - As At 31st December 2011:  £.p   £.p 
    Doig Society Fund at End of Year 3,530.10 3,466.00
    Armigers Funds - Deposits by Members 80.00 80.00
    Total Funds  £3,610.10  £3,546.00
    Represented By:
    Bank Account - Balance at End of Year £3,610.10 3,546.00
    Ian P. Doig, Treasurer

    GENEOLOGY

    Ken reported that he was presently working up to 5 days a week for 4/5 hours a day on Archive material and looking into family records etc.  The National Archives had recently put up some early documents which can now be read in a simpler format which was proving useful.  A document from 1303 records a Robert Doig who is a named ancestor of ‘our’ Doigs – as witness on a Charter along with the Sherriff of Forfar and two Knights.

    The 1940 Census is now available in the US which includes some Doigs.

    Latest translations to hand go back two more generations.

    He noted that Doigs from Dundee appear repeatedly in records but don’t link to regular tree. 

    He hopes to find links from wills and testaments which he has on file.

    Useful web link:  www.dundeecity

    CLAN STATUS

    There has been no further developments and Kerr expressed his disappointment.  Some discussion followed and it was generally felt that it would be sensible to look at other methods of achieving this as well as the expected route of persons applying for Armiger  from their own finance. It was suggested we try to make contact with other Doig groups to assist in this regards. There was some discussion following a suggestion that we contact ‘famous’ Doigs to ask for support of some kind ; Ian Doig, Stephen Doig, Lexa Doig, Peter Doig were a few of those mentioned.  However it was felt that this would not be a viable route at this stage.

    2014 MEETING IN STIRLING

    It was agreed that Stirling should be the venue but after some discussion the previously suggested dates of 24th to 27th July was changed to Friday, Saturday and Sunday – 18th, 19th and 20th July.  The Smith Museum agreed to accept the booking of their Lecture room for the 18th and 19th from 10.30.a.m. until 4.00. at a cost of £20 per hour – this cost may well increase and that was accepted.  This venue would be used as our focal meeting point and also for the AGM on Saturday 19th July.

    Ian agreed to follow up details of the Toll Booth where ceilidhs were held and to see what the availability of room hire was – cost, band and a caller. 
    The use of a small bus was discussed and Ian would contact Docherty’s for information.

    The possibility of hospitality from Sterling Council was discussed, as at the last gathering in Sterling this had been most welcome as had the visit of the Town Crier in Perth Canada.  The constraints on local spending may well not allow for this however it may be worth asking the question (Kerr to consider speaking with someone with regard to this?).

    An outline plan for the gathering was discussed:
    Meet and Mingle on Friday 18th 10.30 at the Smith – tea and coffee is available all day from the café there.
    An after lunch trip to Lake of Menteith by bus would be offered perhaps with the chance of looking around Thornhill.  Ken (our Genial Geologist)  would stay at the Smith during the day to be available for folk wishing to speak to him about personal records etc.

    The rest of the day would be free for folk to visit local sights which we would have details on  e.g. Stirling Castle, Old town jail, Wallace Monument, Kilmadock Graveyard ,Bannockburn etc.
    Saturday from 10.30 am at the Smith.  AGM followed by a few speakers – possibly Jock Ferguson, Richard Paterson,  Elspeth King of The Smith,  John Harrison – local History Society. It was also suggested that we show the DVD of David Ross which John Doigtook and Kerr has , this has been used before with special editing and is well worth watching, lasts approximately 20 minutes.
    The ceilidh would be held on Saturday evening.  However this is dependent on room availability and may have to be on Friday evening. 

    Timing of all these events, costs etc will be looked at in the future.

    It was felt that we should not tie folk down too much but that we must give them as much information as possible on events in the area eg.,  The Bannockburn experience and what is available in Stirling.
    Those of us with cars may consider taking folk to places of interest? 

    Sunday should be left for folk to do as they wish but it would be nice to meet up for a farewell lunch if there is a wish for this.  Note; we need to have some info on good  local eating places

    ANY OTHER BUSINESS

    James suggested creating a Society calendar to sell during the meeting using some photos of past meetings and some of local scenes perhaps.  He will look into costs.
    We need to look at advertising in the Local papers and if we can afford it the Sunday Post which is read all round the world.

    John would be producing the next Newsletter in January 2013.

    The meeting closed with thanks expressed to Mary and Henry for the use of their home and hospitality received.

    Next meeting the first Thursday in July 2012 at 1pm same venue if possible

     


MINUTES OF THE SEVENTH COMMITTEE MEETING
HELD 3rd July 2009 AT WHISKY HERITAGE CENTRE, EDINBURGH

Those Present:-

Chairman - Kerr Doig, Secretary - John Doig, Treasurer - Ian Doig, Members - Henry and Mary Doig, Wendy Doig

    Pagoda
    A Pagoda is on display in the tasting room along with an explanation of his architectural achievements.  A plaque will be presented at a later date. Note: a Doig concessionary tour is reduced from £11.50 to £8.50 available to Doig visitors.  James and Ann Gibb were present for the tour, James being a direct descendent of Charles. Photographs were taken.

    Notes of Meeting
    Kerr expressed his gratitude to Julie Hunter for allowing the committee to take place in the tasting room. Best venue yet!

    Treasurer's Report

    Ian presented the statement of audited accounts ending 31st December2008. Copies were handed out and will be presented at the AGM at the Gathering on 24th July. John recommended that a third or fourth signatory should be on the account and suggested that Jon Doig could become one. Ian would investigate this. Ian requested life membership to be promoted to remove the difficulty in identifying payments to the bank from individuals at annual or ad hoc payments. He suggested a certificate be designed. John would look at doing this. The only known expense to be paid for the gathering was to David Ross of £50. £165 had been paid to St. John’s Church Hall. There may be further cost of approx. £20 if projector equipment used on the day.

    Secretary’s Report

    A very good guess at numbers from abroad, incl. Wales, was ~ 24.  There had been poor response from local Doig’s.  However with local numbers, over 40 were expected. The opportunity to purchase a Clan Tent (£220) had been declined due to lack of manpower to man the tent all day (most members were in the Stands). Confirmed by letter. The following link (for St. Johns) is one to the map of Edinburgh. Entry to St John’s Church Hall should be via the Lothian Road entrance.

    www.edinburghguide.com/maps/edinburghcarparks.php

    Iain Doig (Canada) has concerns re financing the 2010 Doig gathering in Canada. The committee agreed to fund deposits on a return basis. John has made contact via telephone with Ian and has asked him to set up an individual account in society name for this fund, requesting that Ian try to obtain life memberships to finance this gathering and to fund the society. Iain is looking at setting up a Web Site. Monies will be considerably less than £500.

    Discussion regarding 24th July
    John and Wendy had visited the Church Hall.  The venue was excellent.  There is a café on the premises and it should be possible to order food for lunch on the day,    Wendy to confirm with them.  She will organise tea/coffee/soft drinks etc for the day and organise lunch snacks for those who want to order. If it is a nice day chairs and tables can be put outside.

    A Morning start of 10.30 to meet & mingle. A genealogy table will be available with our genial genealogist Ken Doig from California.      This may be in the church to receive a wireless signal (dependent on services). The afternoon session should have an early start with AGM and a talk by David Ross at 2pm and if time allows another artist.  The afternoon will conclude around 4pm to give time for everyone to return to their ‘digs’ if wished and to have an early evening meal returning for 7.30pm for our evening of entertainment. The evening will be a family affair with Mary’s guests providing music and song. A sing- a -long will be included. Robert Doig will be MC – we will have a very accomplished pianist. John R. Doig (NZ) will sing.  Anyone who can do a party piece may do so. A raffle will be held, donations for prizes please. Nibbles will be provided along with tea and coffee. Bring your own alcoholic refreshment if you want anything stronger. No corkage!

    Saturday & Sunday
    These days will be free for all to do their own thing. Those with passports will join the Clan Parade.  Those without can support us by watching. The Pageant is the highlight.  We have agreed that for those without seats in the Holyrood Park Gathering we will arrange a meeting point on Saturday / Sunday between 1pm and 2 pm at the Clan Tent area at the Pitcairn Tent.

    A Farewell Dinner is being organized.




    Brief Minutes of AGM held at St Johns’ Church Hall, Princes Street, Edinburgh, Friday July 24th 2009 @ 13.30hrs

    Committee members present:  Chairman G. Kerr Doig, Treasurer Ian P. Doig, Secretary John A. Doig, Wendy Doig Asst Secretary, Henry Doig Chieftain in waiting, Mary Doig and Kenneth Doig, Archivist. Associate members present as recorded in Visitors Book.

    Kerr Doig welcomed all those present and thanked everyone for their continued support.

    FINANCIAL REPORT
    Presented and accepted by those present. Copies of this report had been circulated and Minutes of the meeting held on 3rd July. Ian stressed the need to adopt the £50 one off life membership by members. Although the £10/yr was still acceptable it would be far easier for the Treasurer if a one off payment was made.  Previous £10 donations would be taken into account if required. Thanks were expressed to Ian for his work on the account.

    SECRETARY’S REPORT
    John expressed some disappointment that there were not as many attending this meeting as he had been led to believe through e mail contact however it was hoped to see more folk during the next two days. He mentioned the meeting in Canada 2010 which was being organised there by Ian Doig (Canadian). It was hoped that as many as possible from the UK would attend.  There followed presentation of Life Membership Certificates to: Kenneth Doig (California) with special mention for all the work he has done over a number of years on the genealogy and setting up of our Web SiteAlso to Linda Doig (California) who was unable to accompany Ken on this visit.  To G. Kerr Doig and to Maureen Doig.  To Dr. Henry Doig who was nominated as our Chieftain-in-Waiting, seconded by Ian P. Doig and to Dr. Mary Doig. Also John K Doig and Margaret Doig,  Geoffrey Watson  Doig,  John R Doig and Susan Doig (NZ) Ian B Doig and Susan C Doig (AUS), Ian P Doig,  John A Doig and Wendy H Doig. Finally Alison Garabedian-Doig of Switzerland.

    APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATIONS
    The following officers were re-elected: G Kerr Doig as Chairman Kenneth Doig as Genealogist, Ian P Doig as Treasurer, John A Doig as Secretary (John would like to resign due tothe distance to travel for committee meetings, but will continue for the present time).  It was hoped that new committee members were forthcoming these were essential and members were urged to consider joining the committee. Several members present gave their intention to attend the committee; Ian Doig and Robert Doig of Edinburgh and James G. Doig of Perth who will be contacted prior to the next Committee.

    DOIG.NET WEBSITE (www.doig.net)
    It was agreed that payment should be funded by the society. However the current cost was high and a back up archivist Ian L Doig  would look at obtaining a new server as this was currently part of the his work.

    Doigs in the gathering parade, Edinburgh, 2009

    Doigs in the gathering parade, Edinburgh, 2009


MINUTES OF THE SIXTH COMMITTEE MEETING
HELD April 2008 @ 11am @ 1b Ladysmith Court Dunfermline KY12 7YD

Those Present:-

Chairman - Kerr Doig, Secretary - John Doig, Treasurer - Ian Doig, Members - Henry and Mary Doig, Wendy Doig

  1. The chairman, Kerr Doig, welcomed those present to the meeting.
    The treasurer, Ian Doig, presented Income & Expenditure account to 31.12.07
    Balance Sheet and Funds Statement both to 31.12.07. Total Assets of £2,443.33 which included a stock of Thornhill Books. Also belonging to the Society were an assortment of Doig memorabilia which is currently stored in the Stirling Smith Museum
    Discussion followed on the need for a clear system of collecting subscriptions. It was agreed in principal that a Life Membership of £50 should be offered and that members paying that fee at present would be a Founder Member and given an appropriate Founder Member Certificate. The Founder Member offer would cease after a period of 2 years.
    It would be necessary to continue the £10 Annual fee as at present.
    It was felt appropriate to ask all members to consider their payment system and information regarding this would be available soon.
  2. It was agreed that the quest for Clan Status must be highlighted to everyone and a determined thrust towards this would go into the Digest.
    Kerr indicated he would be only too pleased to guide anyone interested through the system of becoming an Armiger, explain costs and what is required. He agreed to write a request with information to be circulated and would also target/invite volunteers. This would include explanation of DNA testing.
  3. The proposed 2010 Gathering in Canada was discussed. Ian Doig (Canada) has e mailed all Canadian Doigs for help and support. The event will be held in Perth, Ontario. He is happy to arrange venue and highlight accommodation locally but it will be up to individuals to book own flights/travel/accommodation. No date has as yet been decided. We will offer help and support where necessary,.
  4. The Gathering for July 24,25,26th 2009 was discussed. A venue had been found. This would be Church of St. John the Evangelist, Princes Street, Edinburgh EH2 4B. This is a very central location and easy for folk to get to either by own transport or taxi, bus etc. It was agreed that we go ahead and book the venue for the Friday 24th July. There will be an Annual General Meeting held in the morning, there would be time for meeting and mingling. Ken Doig (archivist) and Kerr Doig will have a table area where anyone wishing to chat with them can do so at leisure. Other possible speakers etc. to be looked at. It was suggested that David Ross be contacted. Coffee/tea will be provided in the morning and light lunchtime refreshments. We would conclude the day time events at 3.30.p.m. The evening period would begin at 7.00.p.m. with entertainment being looked at. Folk would be advised to have an early evening meal before they arrive, we should be able to offer liquid refreshment and perhaps a light snack. The evening would finish at 10.30.p.m. The following 2 days would be free for folk to choose what they wanted to do. However John Doig had obtained information on the proposed events to be held in Holyrood Park and at the Castle. He explained it was possible to obtain a block booking of seats for the 2 day event by groups. The cost of a ticket was to be £88 per person and this gave the person a seat to watch the events in the partk and a seat to see the special finale at the Castle. Also the right to process with the big Parade planned up the Royal Mile. It was hoped that as many as possible would do this, if a booked seat is not obtained you have no access to the Castle event and you cannot be in the Parade. It was hoped we could have enough folk to be able to purchase a group booking, which would have to be obtained this year. It was decided we would consider a banner with Doig Family Society printed on it and showing the Cross of St. Andrew and hopefully depicting our tartan. Richard Doig would be approached for help with this. The information of the event would be put in the Digest along with a request for those wishing to book with the group to do so before 2nd June, with payment to Ian Doig.
  5. John Doig showed items of memorabilia which he had bought via the internet: A model bus of Doigs coaches,
    A cigarette card showing J.E. Doig, who played in goal for Scotland in the late 1800, early 1900. Medals,

    These would be put in the archives.
    The possibility of the Doig Society having a tent at the Holyrood Park event was considered, however this would be costly and it was felt that it would not be of any great use. Richard Doig was proposing to have a tent for his shop and this could be used as a focal point if members wished to meet.

  6. Date of next meeting to be Friday, to be arranged at the home of Henry and Mary Doig in East Kilbride a date of 6th March 2009 was suggested.

MINUTES OF THE FIFTH COMMITTEE MEETING
HELD 18th July 2007 @ 11am @ 1b Ladysmith Court Dunfermline KY12 7YD

Those Present:-

Chairman - Kerr Doig, Secretary - John Doig, Treasurer - Ian Doig, Members - Henry and Mary Doig, Wendy Doig

  1. Chairman's Report Kerr welcomed all present and thanked those who had travelled. Kerr then reviewed the last Gathering and it was agreed that although the attendance was disappointing, based on those who originally had said they would attend, but failed to do so, it was a success. It had been a happy event, lessons had been learnt, especially regarding cost and catering.
  2. Secretary's Report Notes of the committee meeting held at the 2006 gathering were read and confirmed with one alteration. Over 350 Doigs had been “kennelled” by Skype. However reluctance continues by half of the recipients to accept contact. It was suggested this may be due to the young age of the people or my photo(?), it has led to only 140 so far being available for contact. John’s Skype address IS doigjohna, Ken Doig’s in California is kfdoig, Kerr Doig is kerrdoig. The June 2006 committee meeting and Third Doig Digest had been placed on the web, the minutes of this meeting and that of the Gathering would be added hopefully by the end of September along with the Constitutions. www.doigsden.co.uk The DVD of the last Gathering is available at £5 + p&p . The DVD of Peruvian Doig history / Artefacts by Frederick Kaufmann Doig is on the web see www.doig.net
  3. Treasurer's Report Ian reported that at present the Society had £2200 in the bank account. The Society Accounts to 31st December 2006 had been prepared and were agreed by the Committee. The treasurer had been successful in obtaining details to enable people outside the UK to pay their subscriptions direct into the Doig Society Bank Account. The mechanism is via a bank international code (BIC); this code, which should be quoted when making a transfer, is IBAN GB42RBOS83270900675853 plus IBAN BIC Code RBOSGB2L
  4. Scottish Gathering 2009 After some debate it was agreed that there should be another Scottish Gathering prior to the Canadian one in 2010. It was suggested and agreed to be held in Edinburgh in July 2009. Following the meeting after some exploration of events happening during 2009 it was agreed that we should attach our Doig Society Gathering to the Homecoming International Gathering 2009. The Homecoming Gathering will have an estimated 80 clan tents and around 7,500 clan and Scottish association members from around the world. The Homecoming Gathering will take place in Holyrood Park and there will be an associated highland games that is expected to attract a further 30,000 people over the two days. The Homecoming Gathering is being held in Edinburgh on the last weekend of July in 2009. This would mean The Doig Society would only have to organise a Friday gathering in a hall. Ian Doig volunteered to investigate suitable venues. Click this link to see details about the large Homecoming Gathering which it is hoped will get Scots from abroad to “come home”.
  5. CANADA 2010 It was agreed the possibility of organising a Doig Gathering in Canada be delegated to the Canadians; 2010 had been suggested as a possibility, subject to sufficient support and funding. The role of the parent Doig Family Society would be only to provide a focal point in an advisory capacity. The 2010 Canadian Gathering should be run entirely by the Canadians and they should make a profit if possible for the Doig Family Society, which would go to fund the parent Society’s aims. Suggested dates were end August – end September 2010 and in an area on the east side and near Toronto. (Remembering that 15mls in the UK is more like 300miles in Canada). Remembering Scottish Schools are back mid August or earlier, English Schools go back early Sept. The Committee considered that it would be unrealistic to predict with confidence that many Doigs from the UK would be able to attend the Canadian Gathering (a combination of costs and availability for the dates).Contact with Ian Doig (Ca), reidoig@storm.ca Tel. 613-264-2707, would be made to progress the committees feelings. (Ian having volunteers to assist and oversee the 2010 Gathering in Canada.
  6. Doig DNA Project This was progressing well with now 20 DNA samples having been taken. It can looks that there was not just one Doig line, however we still need more samples to tie in more lines. See www.doig.net and follow DNA link for latest results.
  7. Progress towards official Clan recognition has not progressed as well as hoped for; Kerr is still awaiting final documentation and will be the third Doig to achieve an Armiger status. See Doig’s Digest 2007 for details how to become an armiger. Investigation in to the Doig Family Society calling itself a Doig Clan without achieving full Court of Lyon recognition is to be looked into.
  8. Doig Family Society Constitution and Rules have been agreed and will be publicised on the web. You can view them here.

MINUTES OF THE FOURTH COMMITTEE MEETING
HELD 10/06/06
@ 11am Lion and Unicorn, Thornhill

Those Present:-

Chairman - Kerr Doig, Secretary - John Doig, Treasurer - Ian Doig, Members - Henry and Mary Doig, Andrew Doig Kirriemuir Doig Kilt Shop, Jon Doig Stirling, and Wendy Doig Liverpool

  1. Chairman's Report Kerr welcomed all present and thanked those who had travelled. The focus of this meeting would be entirely the August International Gathering.
  2. Secretary's Report Nothing much to report which would not be mentioned later in the meeting Over 150 Doigs had been “kennelled” by Skype. However reluctance by the recipients to accept contact continues and this has led to only 63 so far being available for contact. John's Skype address doigjohna, Ken Doig's in California is kfdoig The last committee meeting and second Doig Digest had been placed on the web http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/doigsden/
  3. Treasurer's Report Ian reported that at present the Society had £700 in bank account. This will reduce as costs are now being incurred in organising the 2006 Gathering. . The Society Accounts to 31 st December 2005 had been prepared and agreed by the Committee. The Accounts & vouchers were handed to Jon Doig of Stirling for auditing, prior to formal acceptance at the AGM at the 2006 Gathering. Considerable debate ensued regarding estimated costs & income for the 2006 Gathering in Thornhill. It was agreed that there would be a charge of £12.50 per person for Friday (including the evening Soiree). £10.00 for the Saturday daytime session. These delegates' fees would be necessary to finance costs for running the two days, including catering, hall hire speakers fees, entertainment & overheads. There would be a reduced fee for children under 16 and no charge for those under 5 years of age. The Saturday evening Ceilidh would be an entirely separate charge of £10 per head and tickets would be on sale Friday and Saturday at the Registration desk. It was agreed that the Sunday Highland Games at Bridge of Allan and the organised walk to the Kilmadock Graves would be made available to the attendees but at their own expense/ arrangement as logistically it would not be possible to organise transport for all who wished to participate. Assessing the situation it was noted that on the assumption of 80 delegates on Friday and 100 delegates on the Saturday the Society should make a modest surplus, which would be added to the Doig Family Society Fund, in pursuance of our objective of achieving full Clan Status. However any increase in delegate numbers would make the coffers of the Society grow. It was hoped that all Doig's and friends would rally round to maximise attendance- hopefully a world record Gathering of Doigs! Subject to the capacity being available, a fee of £8 was agreed for local residents who may wish to attend the Friday Soiree. A meeting with the Licensee who will supply the bar on the Friday and Saturday evenings took place; he confirmed that he would apply for the licence and that the cost of this will be met by the Lion and Unicorn. It was agreed that two further signatories would be added to the Society Account J.A. Doig & Dr H. Doig.
  4. A meeting with Ray Nairn (the caterer) was successful in agreeing the snacks to be available at lunch and evening supper time. Cost per head to be £4 for Friday lunch and supper and Saturday lunch and supper. She will provide paper plates, coffee, tea, milk etc. Urns of hot water would be available during each session for coffee and tea to be made. Wendy Doig will make sure disposable cups are always available and that clearing and tidying takes place.
  5. Tasks were issued to committee members to pursue :-

    Jon Doig
    a) To obtain identification labels which would act as an entry ticket for Friday & Saturday
    b) To provide a Saltire & plastic folder for the welcome packs.

    John Doig
    a) To provide a cash float for registration
    b) To parcel up welcome packs on Thursday evening prior to event, Kerr & Jon to liaise re delivery of same to Thornhill.
    c) To provide names for the badges provided by Jon
    d) To provide membership/registration forms to be completed upon entry
    e) Price Doig related books, notice for bookstall.

    Wendy Doig to organise registration on both days and donation boxes.

    Kerr Doig
    a) To continue to look at advertising and funding and maximise delegate numbers.
    b) Contact James Fraser of VisitScotland.com
    c) To obtain leaflets from Tourism Office

    Ian Doig to contact Stirling Observer and three other items he is working on already.

    Andrew Doig to use his contacts to advertise the event. (Forfar & Dundee) and to liaise with Richard Doig over suitable donation to society.

    Dr. Henry Doig
    a) To write to various news media with a brief account of the Gathering.
    b) Contact Rodney Doig.
    c) Test out old PA System for possible use at the Gathering.

  6. Attendees should be notified with request to help out with donating Raffle prizes for Friday & Saturday nights. Also a bookstall would be in the hall with a box for donations.

  7. A Programme of Events for the Gathering was agreed. Click here to view Programme of Events

MINUTES OF THE THIRD COMMITTEE MEETING
HELD 14/11/05
@ 10am Smith Art Gallery & Museum Stirling

Those Present:-

Chairman - Kerr Doig , Secretary - John Doig , Treasurer - Ian Doig, Members - Henry Doig, and Mary Doig, Andy Doig from Dundee, Andrew Doig Kirriemuir Doig Kilt Shop, Elizabeth Pole, Annette McDonald, Elspeth King of thr Smith Art Gallery & Museum (part time), Nigel Bishop Admin and Information Officer Kilmadock Development Trust (part time).

  1. Chairman's Report Kerr welcomed all present and looked forward to a productive committee meeting.
  2. Nigel Bishop described the differences between the Kilmadock Trust and the Kilmadoc Society which were run by the same people. He informed that the Stirling Council had awarded funding (£15,000) for repairs and upkeep of the Kilmadock graveyard. There will be a new access map to the graveyard in the near future. A copy of the Doig Family Society A4 poster to be put up in the Kilmadock Development Trust shop 52 Main Street Doune FK 16 6BW. Nigel stated that he would liaise with the Secretary in the future. The Chairman thanked Nigel for his valued input. It was agreed that the Society would pay a donation or subscription to the Kilmadock Trust – Treasurer to be advised of the amount.
  3. Secretary's Report With increasing use of the internet 64 Doigs had been “kennelled” by Skype. However the recipient of the call had to authorise contact acceptance and this had lead to only 25 so far being available to speak to. More DVD's of the last Gathering had been sold profiting the Society account . The Contacts Access database continued to be buit up and with Ken Doig now releasing emails with the various Doig lines he has updated a lot more would be forthcoming. News of International visitors visitors to the 2006 Gathering was promising with around 30 already definitely attending. The last committee meeting and Doig Digest had been placed on the web http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/doigsden/
  4. Treasurer's Report Ian reported that at present the Society had £884.46 in its bank account . The sum of £10 per annum was agreed as the annual subscription for 2006 and this should be paid by all members, preferably by Bankers Standing Order (SO form is available on request from the Treasurer). It was agreed that the financial year (and therefore annual subscriptions) should run from 1 st January to 31 st December. Formalizing the subscription scheme for 2006 and beyond remained a priority.

    Considerable debate ensued regarding costs for the 2006 Gathering in Stirling . The first two days would be charged at a fee £20 per person per day (plus catering – say £24 in total per person per day), subject to more detailed costings. There would be a reduced fee for children (say £12 per day). The fee would be needed to cover the cost of hall hire, catering, Friday evening mix, mingle & entertaining, speakers fees & expenses, advertising, postage & contingencies. There would be 10 speakers over the 2 days. Costs of hiring the Smith Art Gallery were currently £12 (plus VAT) per hour. Elspeth King advised that the capacity was 90. Cost of lunches would be around £5/ person. In the evening, drinks would not be available from the Smith but wine etc could be brought into the building, provided care was taken regarding placement of drink.

     A Budget for the Society for 2006 would be drawn up, based on the following anticipated costs:

  5. •  2006 Gathering costs
    •  Bridge of Allan Games costs
    •  Newsletter, postage, printing and stationary costs
    •  Website, Advertising and Public Relations expenses
    •  Expenses incurred by office bearers
    •  Contingency fund for unforeseen costs
    •  Development fund – contribution to build funds for Clan Status
    •  Income – Subscriptions of £10 per member

  6. Clan Registration . As previously mentioned applying for an official coat of arms. We need ten to become a clan. At this point we have two, with one application in process by Kerr Doig . What is required is as follows :- This is for a Grandfather ancestor who lived in Scotland but applied for to Lord Lyon by an Englishman

    1a  Your Marriage Certificate
    1b    "      Father in Law's Marriage Certificate
    1c/e      All the Children's Birth Certificates (eldest son first, then any daughters)
    2a   Your Birth Certificate
    2b    "      Fathers Marriage Certificate
    3a    "      G/Fathers Birth Certificate
    3b    "            "        Marriage Certificate

    Cost is around £1000 but not paid up front. We need more to obtain Armiger Status.

  7. Next Family Gathering It was agreed that it would be impractical to try to ferry people to and from the Bridge of Allan Games and that people should make their own arrangements but a focal point to meet was likely to be the Richard Doig “Kilt and accessory Stall”. Andrew was asked to ensure that Richard was present with this stallas it was felt would benefit those Doigs who were only up for the day or so and could not reach a Doig Kilt Shop. It was also agreed at this time, with low funds, we would not purchase a trophy for a competition as all events were well covered and an advert in the games programme would be more suitable at this time. A rough plan of the Gathering could now be drawn up. Confirmation of the artists is required.
    Action Points
    John
    :- to contact David Doig re Ceilidh band, David Doig (Fettercairn) re Clive Doig talk, Maxine Trotter & husband and Nigel Bishop re their contributions.
    Kerr : - Dr. Jim Cranstoun Scottish Geology, David Ross,
    Ian : - Lord Lyon Representative, Register General Office, depending on this outcome or as alternative Kevin Wilbraham new Archivist at Stirling. It was also expected that Kerr would talk on his progress and how he is obtaining his Armiger status. Web Master Ken Doig was also expected to give us another insight into his findings.

  8. A.O.B.
  9. 1. Strikebound DVD which is about the miners strike in Australia in the 1930's involving Doigs in the main parts, would be made available at the next Gathering

    2. Kerr suggested, (Kerr is the Ideas Man), that we should consider writing a Doig Book, that is a book about Doigs past and present. This was thought to be an excellent idea especially as Kerr Stated he would take this job on.

    3. Doig names around the world not only on street names were required The secretary pointed out that in Seattle there was a picture he was given of DOIG CHAPEL on the various computing programmes. All the bricks of the building bore names of the donors.

    4. The next Gathering would again be recorded; costs however were currently prohibitive at around £950 / day. The last DVD's were not planned but were only meant as a souvenir of the days. John and Henry agreed to try to do a more professional job next year if another ‘free volunteer' was not forthcoming.

    5. Volume L11 No. 2 of the Scottish Genealogy Society (June 2005), contained over a five page spread the “Doigs of Menteith” which had been compiled by Kenneth Frank Doig (Webmaster), Dr Suzanne Mary Doig (NZ) and George Kerr Doig our chairman. Membership is £16, £19 Family membership and U.S members $32 and is recognised as a charity see www.scotsgenealogy.com

    6. It was agreed to purchase the last available 35 of the very good book of “Thornhill and its Environs” (a Social History), to ensure that Doigs at the next gathering would have an opportunity to purchase same. . (Post meeting note- Kerr has succeeded in buying up the 25 remaining copies for the Society and proposes to auction them at the 2006 Gathering to raise funds for the Society).

    7. Dr. Henry Doig brought information from a web site re DNA testing from a source who carry out this task. Further investigation and DNA volunteers would be required at a cost of ~$160, (less for a group). All agreed that this would be useful to tie up Doig lines to a possibility of one original DOG. See www.familytreedna.com

    8. Concern was expressed that the Smiths venue may / would not be suitable due to the size of the expected Gathering. It was agreed to check out other venues in Stirling.

    9. It was suggested that Richard could consider some small percentage payback to the Society for the Doig business that it attracted and Andrew was requested to put this to Richard.

    10. Thanks were expressed to Elspeth for the availability of the Smith Venue and supply of the beverages etc

    11. An Editor for the Doigs Digest was still an outstanding issue which required resolving. Volunteers please contact Secretary.

    The meeting closed at 14.10hrs

    NO DATE SET FOR THE NEXT MEETING WHICH WOULD BE IN THE YEAR 2006

    KILMADOCK TRUST covers the big picture i.e. all aspects in the area and the KILMADOCK SOCIETY the History and Heritage of the area. Both are registered charities.

    The Kimadock Development Trust runs the Information and Heritage Centre at the Development Trust shop 52 Main Street Doune FK 16 6BW. It is involved in a wide range of activities, e.g. development of the Youth Project, interpretation boards on the path to the Doune Castle , runs walking festivals and provides a base and meeting place for a number of local groups. It also has two employees. Membership of the Trust is £1 life membership; one gets very little for it as it is a way to support the Trust. Membership forms can be obtained. Two newsletters have been produced since the Trust was formed.

    The Kilmadock Society is composed of volunteers; use the centre as a base and also stores equipment and items there. The Society has an annual fee, £5 adults, £2 Senior Citizens ( over 60yrs of age), and junior. There are talks and periodic news letters and again membership forms can be obtained. It is if note that the Society and the Development Trust are run in the majority by the same people.

    Addendum
    Due to prospective numbers attending the gathering in August another venue can be sort.


MINUTES OF THE SECOND COMMITTEE MEETING
HELD 6/8/05
@ 4pm Creity Hall Hotel

Those Present:-

Chairman - Kerr Doig , Secretary - John Doig , Treasurer - Ian Doig, Member - Henry Doig, Wendy Doig, David Doig, Barbara Doig and Mary Doig

  1. Chairman's Report Kerr reported progress was being made towards the next Gathering and thanked those attending the meeting. He requested that all Doigs be urged to register on the Doig List via the Doig Website www.doig.net and also notify the Secretary for further information.
  2. Secretary's Report With increasing use of the internet several more Doigs had been “kennelled”. The downloading of the new SKYPE system had enabled free phone call connections all around the world, with subsequent recruitment. Those Founders who had escaped without enrolment had all been sent letters. The Richard Doig kilt shops on http://www.thekiltshop.co.uk/ had not been updated regarding the new Society & Doig Tartan, but this would be carried out soon. Several dozen DVD's of the previous Gathering had been sold profiting the Society account. A Contacts Access database programme had been developed for recording the membership and had been issued to several members of the committee. E-mails had been sent to all on the data base, several addressees had not responded, some had not arrived at the destination but the % was small.
  3. Treasurer's Report Ian presented a financial report; he considered that a forward budget was soon to become a priority as we now needed to look at costs for the next Gathering. The Committee agreed. He reported that at present the Society had £682 in its bank account . The sum of £10 per annum was agreed as an annual subscription and this should be collected from all members. The news letter would highlight this. Ian also reported that no costs had been incurred which the Society need be aware of. Ian would also follow up information regarding a Swift bank code to enable money to be transferred between countries without cost.
  4. Clan Registration . In brief the society required 10 Armigers i.e. family / individuals who would be willing to gather a sum of money to register a coat of arms. The cost can be around £880 -£1000. This would entitle the person or nominee to a new grant of Armorial Bearings including shield only, which was cheaper than one with a crest. (£1334), an extra cost of around a hundred pounds is also likely to be incurred. See ww.Doig.net for further information. To date, two Canadian Doigs, Ian Michael and Kenneth James have achieved this status, via their ancestors, on 15 th February 1982 & 10 th June 1965 respectively and another descendant (Kerr our Chairman) is to prove himself related to another Doig traced from 1468 who already had a coat of arms etc. The secretary was also to attempt to obtain armiger status for his grandfather with the assistance of his cousin Eric Doig. Dr Henry Doig would also endeavour to obtain it and several other members were to be coaxed to assist. It was acknowledge that this task of achieving clan status would take some time, possibly several years. Other volunteers willing to obtain a coat of arms were to be sourced and notification of any interest to the secretary would be welcome. Barbara, our Treasurers wife, undertook to obtain more information from the Registrar General and from the Lord Lyon, both of whom she came into contact with from time to time.
  5. Newsletter The Newsletter would be e-mailed to all and letters sent out to those without e-mail. It was hoped these minutes, along with the news letter, would eventually be on the Doig web site.
  6. Clan Chief It was agreed that there several likely candidates for this High Office :- This topic would be resolved at our next Gathering.
  7. Next Family Gathering It was agreed that future events would be held in 2006, 2008 and 2010, the latter date to be held at a venue abroad possibly Canada The venue in 2006 was to be the Smith Museum in Stirling and the Ceilidh venue also unchanged (in Thornhill) as they were both a success last year. The meeting and mingling feature of last year would be maintained and several lecturers had already been pencilled in. The first evening event of the 4 th August would be an evening of entertainment. Wullie Doig being the basis for the entertainment.
  8. Next Family Gathering It was agreed that future events would be held in 2006, 2008 and 2010, the latter date to be held at a venue abroad possibly Canada The venue in 2006 was to be the Smith Museum in Stirling and the Ceilidh venue also unchanged (in Thornhill) as they were both a success last year. The meeting and mingling feature of last year would be maintained and several lecturers had already been pencilled in. The first evening event of the 4 th August would be an evening of entertainment. Wullie Doig being the basis for the entertainment.
  9. Further discussion at the next meeting David Doig would enquire re the booking of a Doig Ceilidh Band (Allan Doig), for the Thornhill venue on the evening of the 5 th . The Ceilidh venue is restricted capacity. Numbers not exceeding 150 can be accommodated comfortably. Therefore a separate early booking for this is required A meeting with the Secretary of the Bridge of Allan Highland Games was most helpful. This event will take place on the 6 th August 2006. It was agreed that a Trophy be purchased at a cost of £50 - £100 which would be presented annually, with no further cost, for an event yet to be decided. Advertising space can be purchased at a full page in black and white for £100; full page in colour for £150; quarter page from £40 to £45. It was hoped that Richard Doig would book a Trade Stand (cost £60 to £120) and it was suggested that members of the Clan would be present all day to speak to anyone interested who visited the stall. Booking of this stand must be before end of April 2006. A possible discount for those members attending was discussed but final decision would depend on numbers attending. Seating could not be pre-booked, it was suggested that some seats could be ‘saved' if a member arrived early enough to do this!
  10. A.O.B.
  11. 1. A Copy of the video Strikebound, which is about the miners strike in Australia in the 1930's involving Doigs in the main parts, would be made available at the next Gathering

    2 . A very good photo of a plaque to Dr David Doig, the former rector of the Old Grammar School of Stirling in 1787-8, was shown. The plaque is on display on the wall of the former school building, which is now the Portcullis Hotel, Stirling . This photo could be put into a future newsletter, with a suitable story.

    3. Regarding the five grave stones situated in a field near the River Teith found to be very overgrown. These should be preserved and ways of doing this were to be investigated, it was pleasing to find that Stirling Council had put up a notice with regard to improvements to be made. Sheep access had been stopped following erection of wire fencing where the wall around the graveyard had fallen into disrepair. The treasurer would follow up proposed future repair work with the correct official at Stirling Council.

    4. The chairman would look for Doig street names on the various computing programmes.

    5. The date and venue of the next Committee meeting to be fixed in November 2005 at “The Smith” Museum Stirling. Time to be arranged.

    6. The next Gathering would again be recorded; the treasurer will make contact with a friend who may be willing to assist in this matter.

    7. Thanks were expressed to the Secretary for arranging the venue at Creity Hall Doune

The meeting closed at 17.40hrs


MINUTES OF THE FIRST COMMITTEE MEETING
HELD 11/04/2005
@ 2pm

Those Present:-

Chairman - Kerr Doig , Secretary - John Doig , Treasurer - Ian Doig, Member - Henry Doig

  1. Review of the First Official World Wide Gathering. 5-7 th November 2004 The consensus of opinion was that the meeting was well organised in a good venue and the food provided was excellent. The Chairman (Kerr) was commended for doing an excellent job.
  2. Chairman's Report Kerr reported that the event was run with a small profit thanks to Wendy Doig (Secretary's wife) for a successful raffle at the very enjoyable Ceilidh. Especial thanks were expressed to Elspeth King for the running of the event held at the Smith Art Gallery and Museum and for obtaining speakers and for the archive research. The Archivist from Stirling had brought along some previously lost genealogy work done by A Deuchars in 1825 which held Doig/ Dog records going back several centuries. A very special thanks were recorded to the “Webmaster” Ken Doig for all his work over the years without which this forward looking Society would not be meeting.
  3. Kerr also reported that Richard Doig of Forfar http://www.thekiltshop.co.uk/ had registered the new “DOIG TARTAN”
  4. Secretary's Report John apologised firstly to Ian who had been doing some secretarial work which had come to him via the internet . A letterhead had been drawn up to which the Gaelic words of the motto had been added by Dr. Henry Doig A standing order form had also been produced for use by the treasurer. Contact had been made with John Doig in Christchurch N.Z re building membership from over there. A poster would be produced for the Kilmadock Trust Office in Doune to redirect stray Dogs and Doigs to our kennel. A list of persons who had registered on the 6 th Nov 2004 had been received from Ian, those who had “escaped” without contribution would be contacted and over the next few months, e-mails would be sent out with a news letter which the chairman with Henry would produce along with a standing order attachment. John reported that he had managed to compile a DVD of the last Gathering which was available on two DVD's at a cost to be determined by the committee, thought to be between £10 & £20 pounds. Cost of discs to be reimbursed to the secretary. The secretary reported that, other than a few DVD's, no costs had been made on the Society.
  5. Treasurer's Report Ian presented a financial report. He also stated that he considered that a forward budget was unnecessary at this early stage, as no significant costs were anticipated yet. The Committee agreed. He reported that at present the Society had £528 in its bank account . It was agreed that a sum of £10 per annum should be the target to aim for to collect from all members. The Doig Family Society bank account is held at the Royal Bank of Scotland plc, 2 Pitt Terrace Branch, Stirling , Scotland , United Kingdom . The bank account details are available form John Doig.
  6. Follow up of outstanding contributions and membership / membership enquiries It was thought that a newsletter should be published as soon as possible to keep members informed. The content of these minutes would be a basis for the newsletter. This would be sent out mainly via e-mail with a standing order form. The secretary had already indicated his willingness to chase up a few members who had not as yet contributed. It was noted that these members who had made their contribution in November 2004 would be able to set up the standing order to their convenience, but it must be at least annually worth £10.
  7. Clan Registration . In brief the society required 10 Armigers i.e. family / individuals who are willing to gather a sum of money to register a coat of arms. The cost can be around £881 -£1000. This would entitle this person or nominee to a new grant of Armorial Bearings including shield alone which was cheaper than one with a crest. (£1334), an extra cost of around a hundred pounds is also likely to be incurred. Several sheets of information are to be attached to or incorporated in the news letter. To date two Canadian Doigs Ian Michael and Kenneth James have this achievement via their ancestors pn 15 th February 1982 & 10 th June 1965 respectively and another descendant (Kerr) is to prove himself related to another Doig from 1468 who already had a coat of arms etc. It was acknowledge that this task of achieving clan status would take some time, possibly several years.
  8. Newsletter This would be compiled by the committee, the minutes being used as a basis by Kerr and Henry. The Newsletter would be e-mailed to all and letters sent out to those without e-mail.
  9. Clan Chief It was agreed that there were two or three likely candidates for this High Office :- Strong Lineage being one (Dr Henry Doig's family line), others could be the Chairman / Webmaster. This topic would be resolved at our next merry meeting. It was thought a raffle of some sort could be held, the winner to receive a Coat of Arms.
  10. Next Family Gathering After much discussion and a few wet blankets the dates for future events were 2006, 2008 and 2010 the latter date to be held at a venue abroad. A further agreement that the next Gathering would be the first weekend of August 2006 4-5 th followed by a visit to the Highland Games at Bridge of Allan on the 6 th , some three miles from Stirling. The venue was again thought to be the “Smith” and the Ceilidh venue also unchanged (in Thornhill) as they were both a success. The numbers would be around150 max at the Ceilidh venue.
  11. A.O.B.

    A Copy of the video Strikebound, which is about the miners strike in Australia in the 1930's involving some Doigs, would be made available at the next Gathering 2 . A very good photo of a plaque to Dr David Doig, the former rector of the Old Grammar School of Stirling in 1787-8, was shown. The plaque is on display on the wall of the former school building, which is now the Portcullis Hotel, Stirling . This photo could be put into the newsletter, with a suitable story.

    Concern was expressed re the 5-6 grave stones which were on the field near the River Teith which were overgrown and had cattle in the area. These should be preserved and ways of doing this were to be sorted via Elspeth King and the “Smith”. 4. It was agreed that anything of interest related to “old Doig memorabilia” should be copied and sent to the Kilmadock Trust in Doune and deposited there. In paper back form if possible.

    The chairman reported that the Webmaster had contingency plans in hand if any misfortune should befall him/ family regarding future running of the Doig Website

    Thanks were expressed to the treasurer for the use of his home and hospitality received. Thankfully for those driving no whisky was offered.

  12. The meeting closed at 17.40hrs